Monday, August 19, 2024

1. Camino de Santiago


 

The Camino de Santiago is truly the beginning of our adventure. Parker and I decided a long time ago that this would be how we start our year of world schooling for Kaia and Cruz. The Camino de Santiago is a pilgrimage to Santiago, Spain. We are walking the French Route, which is almost 500 miles/800kms.

   

This will be Kaia and Cruz's first long walk. We chose this as their first long walk for several reasons. First, it is established and cultural. We enrolled our kids in a Dual Language Spanish Program  through their elementary years. They are fluent in Spanish, and this will allow them to continue their Spanish education and put their skills to use. Second, unlike our other long walks, we will have lodging every evening so we will not be sleeping in a tent or carrying food (other than snacks, lots of snacks). 

Parker and I have hiked many long distance trails. Our longest being our thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail (2,174 miles/3,504 kms), followed by The Te Araroa (South Island, 1,100 miles/1,800 kms) in New Zealand, Everest Base Camp Trek (from Jiri through Gokyo), The Annapurna Circuit, and everything in between. In our mid-20s, thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail changed us. For Parker and I long distance adventures allow us to reconnect with ourselves, and as partners, and it is a time to pause our busy lives. Walking naturally slows us down from the hustle. It gives us a simple purpose, truly living in the moment. After our first long walk we realized we love to explore on foot, going through little towns and villages, and meeting people along the way. Through our twenty four years together we have taken these breaks in life to re-evaluate our current path and allow a new path for our future to emerge as we walked. We are so excited to share this time of with our kids.

*******


                                            

It's called by many names, The Way of St. James, Camino de Santiago, Camino Compostella, and most often, simply, "The Way". Over 1,300 years ago, it was believed that the body of St. James was laid at Santiago. Throughout the years Christians began making their pilgrimage to Santiago. The  Pilgrims/Peregrinos  initially stepped out of their front door (from Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, Amsterdam, etc) and headed towards western Spain. In the beginning, pilgrims were robbed as they walked through the villages. The churches began welcoming the pilgrims to keep them safe on their journey, giving them a place to sleep and food. As more pilgrims came the churches built additions called alburgues, a place of refuge.

                                                                                        

Over a thousand years later certain routes became more defined than others as villages and amenities have accommodated those passing through. The albergues are still operating (now for a small per person fee of 8-20 euros per bed)) but there are also hostels and hotels along the entire way. The choice is yours with your comfort level. Today the Camino is one of the world's most well known pilgrimages/walks. Those who walk it have many endless reasons to do so. Of course, it does not have to be religious. In some of the churches they inquire your intention: religious, spiritual, cultural or adventure. Many walk the French Route, some begin much further back, still others only walk for a week or so. But as with any other long walks, most are searching for something more in life.

There's a lot written about the walk so I won't bore you. I will share along the way more details here and there. But feel free to reach out with any questions.

*****

                                       

We will begin our pilgrimage at St. Jean Pied de Port, France, which is near the border of France and Spain. It is a medieval village from the 15th century. The word charming does not do this small town justice with its cobble-stone roads, beautiful buildings, and the spectacular Pyrenees in the background. Three routes merge here and it is a popular beginning for a doable yet challenging journey of 500 miles/800kms. 


 After checking into our hotel, we went into town to get our Camino Passports. The Camino Passport is a booklet that indicates you as a Pilgrim (which is only necessary if you want to stay in the albergues). Most towns in Spain have a pilgrim office. As you go through your pilgrimage, you get stamps from where you are staying (also maybe churches, museums, etc). When you arrive at Santiago, the office will look through your pilgrim passport. If it shows that you made your way, you will get a certificate. Of course, it is all an honor system and a pilgrim passport is optional. The scallop shell is the symbol of the Camino. After we were given our passports, we choose our own shells to place on our packs which will indicate us as pilgrims. Out on the street, Pilgrims were everywhere, from all parts of the world. You could feel the excitement in the air for the journey ahead. We were ready.




On the way out of town I stopped by the church. I told my family I wanted to walk through and would only be a couple of minutes. Inside the church was quiet and peaceful, a stark contrast to the busy village. I lit a candle and sat down to enjoy a moment of peace. I was raised catholic from a deeply devout Filipino family. Since leaving my childhood home, I stopped attending mass. However, every time I enter a church during my adulthood (especially once I became a mother), I feel a familiar comfort. More than anything, the church reminds me of my mom, a true Christian, who loves unconditionally and prays for me and my family daily. I am no longer a practicing Christian but I am on a spiritual journey.

As I sat, tears of gratitude flowed unexpectedly. Overwhelming gratitude for my blessed life. Gratitude for my husband  who is my true partner in life, and gratitude for our two healthy children. I don't know how long I was there but it was long enough for my family to check on me. They were worried when they saw me crying. I assured them they were tears of happiness. They gave me a hug and sat with me.  Parker and I are dreamers, planners, and doers. But I know that life is also a lot of luck and fate. I will never take for granted all of the blessings I have been given. I will never forget that moment with my family. 

2 comments:

  1. Safe travels! Looking forward to reading more about your journey. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said. It brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing your travels and adventures with us.

    ReplyDelete