Friday, July 30, 2010

Parker's Big 30: Filipino Style


Parker's birthday celebration began at 4am. We were both in a heavy sleep when we thought we heard singing outside. The singing continued, it was soft and sounded like several people. I recognized my mom's voice and went to open the door. It was still pitch black and outside of our little apartment was my mom, lola, aunts and several neighbors in the small crowd of 15 people. They were singing and holding candles. My uncle was playing the guitar. It was a birthday seranade for Parker. This is something my family does for each other's birthdays. They sang Bisayan and English songs and happy birthday. Then all the ladies took turns dancing with Parker. There was more singing and hot chocolate and sticky rice afterwards. They had woken up at 3am to prepare for the seranade. It was was a touching experience to see how much my family has grown to love my husband.



Everyone, family and neighbors, have been so excited about throwing Parker a birthday party, Filipino Style:
* Lechon Baboy (roast pig) - check.
* Way too much food - check.
* The Mother of All Karaoke Machines - check.
* Tanduay (filipino rum) - check.


I don't know why this karaoke machine was so big but it kept everyone entertained. Parker will try to tell you that he does not sing or dance. I'll let these pictures speak for themselves. It was a good birthday for the old man.












No comments:

Post a Comment