Saturday, January 22, 2011

Saying Good-bye to the Most Magnificent Beard Ever


Sir....Tiger balm? Hash? Smoky-smoke? Shave? Something? Anything?

Parker’s beard attracts a lot of interesting offers. Everyone gets touted in Kathmandu but I’m positive Parker is hit up more often. In fact, it’s non-stop. I stay behind or in front of him because they cut in front of me anyway to get to him. Parker handles it well. He calmly says "Namaste", with a "No, thank you" and smiles.

Parker receives a dozen complements on his beard everyday. He is stopped often on the street, and there is a lot of discussion about the beard. An Israeli girl went nuts everytime she saw him. Travelers and locals tell him how beautiful it is and ask how long he's been growing it, etc. People walking by give him a thumb's up. Beard envy is what I call it.

It's been five months since he started growing the beard. I have even learned to like it. It suits him in Nepal as opposed to Southeast Asia. But we are done trekking for a while and it's getting ridiculous. He has to eat buttered toast upside down , for Pete's sake , so he won't get butter on his mustache. It was time for his magnificent mane to go.

It took me a few days to get used to my new husband. I was so happy to finally see his handsome face. How did I let this go on for so long?




3 comments:

  1. much better for Celeste without the beard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's that guy in the middle? We so wouldn't recognise you now if we passed you in the street. Say hi to Melissa and Jason from us. Jon and Lou

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celeste and ParkerMarch 2, 2011 at 1:49 AM

    Namaste, Sandra. Yes, it's so much better for me!

    Hi Jon and Lou. Stay safe you two. Maybe we'll see you in the UK!

    ReplyDelete